The Business Manager assists the Producing Artistic Director in the oversight and management of finances, including budget maintenance, payroll, contracts, financial reporting, audits, etc. The Business Manager is also responsible for the oversight of all contracts with vendors, unions, and employees; provides staff support as needed, and directly assists the Producing Artistic Director in special projects and tasks. The Business Manager reports directly to the Producing Artistic Director. This position will require approximately 40 hours per week. Salary range: $35K-$45K
Bookkeeping + Financial Management
- Supports Producing Artistic Director in the preparation, adherence, and maintenance of organizational budget, financial records, financial reporting, payroll, and contracts management and payments
- Oversees the execution of all tax documents, including W2’s, 1099s, etc., and works with the auditor to complete organizational annual audits
- Manages internal accounting systems and payroll
- Supports Development Director in the maintenance and reporting of donor accounts within Quickbooks, ensuring that all contributed revenue info is accurate, up-to-date, and in compliance with state and federal regulations regarding nonprofits
- Supports Development Director in all financial aspects of grant and foundation work including building budgets and financial reporting
Account + Contract Management
- Creates, manages, and maintains contracts for hired workers per project
- Supports in the execution and negotiation of all contracts
- Oversees and manages organization vendor accounts, ensuring all accounts are up-to-date, in compliance, and corresponds with vendors as needed
Staff Training + HR Support
- Provides support and training to staff members as assigned
- Supports the Producing Artistic Director in creating job descriptions as needed
- Supports the Producing Artistic Director in facilitating staff evaluation protocols as needed
Candidates should have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent professional experience in accounting, finance, or related field – nonprofit financial management experience a plus.
- Previous bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Past experience in nonprofits, arts administration, philanthropy, event coordination, financial management, and/or related field(s) is preferred.
- Strong data entry skills and attention to detail essential.
- Strong leadership and team management skills.
- Desire to support a culture of transparency, trust, accountability, teamwork, and fulfill the mission of a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
- Experience with contract negotiation is preferred.
- Experience with donor management systems is a plus (Bloomerang)
- Ability to use and manage applicable technology and database tools. (Quickbooks, Excel, etc)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, to work independently and in a team.
- Self-motivation and initiative. The ability to thrive in a small, independent entrepreneurial office environment. Resilience under pressure. A sense of humor.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
How to Apply / Contact
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to Susan Clement at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.